Online interviews – Why we need to change with the times
posted by Roisin McNamara on
With the release of the new iPhone 6 a few weeks ago and the constant revolution of technology, interviews are no longer confined to the standard boardroom interview. We are seeing more companies streamlining their recruitment processes by conducting online interviews.
Digital recruiting has become a thing of the present and not the future. Companies such as HireVue, Vidcruiter and Sonru are paving the way for talent acquisition teams; reducing the time, cost and resources required in the screening process.
Some tips for video interviews:
All interviewees must complete a practice interview before they can proceed to the actual interview. Completing the Practice Interview gives you the opportunity to:
· Complete a dry run of the Video Interview process;
· View your video and see how you look before doing the interview (only you can view this video);
· Identify any issues early – technical or other, and if necessary contact support from the help section in your account.
What does Practice Interview involve?
· The practice interview is to familiarise you with the technology;
· The questions asked are not relevant to your actual interview;
· You are simply asked to repeat phrases to test the sound and picture quality of your video and to enable you to practice speaking into the camera;
· You can record as many practice interviews, as you like.
It's very important to view your Practice Interview. Only continue with your actual interview once you can hear and see yourself clearly when you play back your Practice Interview. If you can't hear and see yourself clearly when viewing the practice interview, then the interviewer won't be able to hear or see you clearly. This is a common mistake we see candidates make. They complete the test, don't view it and progress to completing the interview. The interviewer then has to try to view a video they can't see or hear. This is an issue that can usually be avoided through adjusting settings on your equipment and/or improving your recording environment. If these adjustments don't work contact your Support but don't continue just for the sake of continuing - better to have a good interview than a rushed one.
Quick Tips to Improve Video Picture Quality:
Yes, the good news is there are a lot of simple things you can do to improve your video quality, even with basic webcams. Getting your background, your lighting and your presentation right can make a big difference.
By creating a good light environment and following these simple tips, you do not need to spend a fortune on a good webcam.
· Choose a bright room with soft background light
· Move around with the camera to find a simple background; make sure it is nice and tidy
· If possible wear white to increase picture contrast
· Have a desk light in front of you to light up your face
· Do NOT use your monitor as a light source
· Move lights around so your image is clear and bright in the camera
· If you wear glasses, turn down monitor brightness to minimize glare
· Look at your outline in the camera view – get close enough so you mainly see your head and shoulders
This technology when used in the right way can help speed up the recruitment screening process in a cost effective manner, without entirely changing the fact that face to face and human interaction are essential in hiring the right person for the job.
Moving forward we need to accept that this is a positive change embrace the fact that we can now complete the first stage of an interview in the comfortable surroundings of our own home.
CCP Recruitment Consultant
Phone: 091 73 00 22