Telephone: 086 8347871
Director of Engineering
Our client, a medical device company in County Galway are currently looking to recruit a Director for their site.
Reporting Line: VP of Operations
The incumbent will be responsible for our photochromic solution platform globally including all associated processes and systems. He/she will provide leadership for the sourcing of raw materials, formulation, mixing, qualification and supply of high quality photochromic & hard coat solutions to all workshops producing the product. He/she will develop the strategic road map for photochromic solution delivery, working with R&D, Global Quality and Global Engineering to define the policies, plans, objectives and processes necessary to meet the future needs of the organization while meeting the needs of our customer sites and managing the costs to meet the LRP (Long Range Plan) goals of the business.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
The role will drive a global focus on managing all aspects of the quality and supply of photochromic and Hardcoat solutions which will include but not be limited to the following key focus areas:
- Brand Protection: Partner with the R&D team in defining and reviewing all standard operating procedures and performance specifications to ensure consistent production of high quality photochromic solutions. Be involved in all new product introductions to facilitate an effective industrialization and hand-off to the plants. Manage the disposition process of all photochromic solutions (in the event that batches do not pass Mix-Lab or plant laboratory checks) in association with R&D and Global Quality.
- Vendor Management: Maintain relationships with key critical raw material suppliers, alerting to availability issues, regulation changes and agreeing specifications and service requirements. Manage forecasting to ensure continuity of supply. Work with PPG and other key suppliers to manage the inventory of raw materials, minimizing working capital while ensuring uninterrupted supply. Manage & report the stock levels of finished solutions in line with the business goals. Maintain scorecard for supplier key performance indices. Liaise with R&D, Global Purchasing, Global Engineering & Quality teams when qualifying raw material (surfactants, etc.) for substitution.
- Supply of Photochromic & Hardcoat solutions: Define the process and controls required to ensure efficient order management, scheduling, processing and shipping to satisfy the internal and external customers’ requirements (mass manufacturing sites, Epsilon, Out of group partners & R&D team)
- Mixing Plant Operations: Ensure mix lab readiness to deliver on strategic initiatives. Develop plans to guarantee photochromic and hardcoat supply considering growth projections and risks: global capacity, capital investment & disaster recovery planning. Maintain scorecards to track global financial, product and service key performance indices. Identify optimum solutions to service the needs of the mass production plants, smaller Epsilon facilities and other out-of-group dye/solution customers. Oversee budget planning, tracking and reporting for mix labs globally. Oversee the delivery of a high quality service to R&D from TOL’s mix lab, in particular with respect to the Trans-polarizing solutions. Ensure activation plan is in place to enable TOL to be a back-up mixing facility for TOTL. Partner with Global Engineering’s Industrialization engineer to ensure a smooth validation & introduction of all new raw materials/coatings to production.
- Communications & Reporting requirements: Provide regular, comparative reports to the R&D and Global Operations teams on key initiatives surrounding the supply of photochromic & hardcoat solutions.
- Teamwork & contacts with other functions: Interact closely with the R&D, Global Quality & Global Engineering teams, Global Procurement, Quality laboratories of all of our manufacturing sites, Plant Directors, Global Logistics staff and production personnel.
- The above areas of responsibility will entail being able to apply significant technical skills, knowledge of quality & laboratory systems, supplier management considerations as well as experience of the production process and optical industry knowledge to a variety of suppliers & customer issues, process improvement projects, and trouble-shooting activities
Key Requirements (Education and Experience)
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, e.g., Chemical/Process Engineering.
- 10 years of related professional experience, e.g., Plant/Operations Management/Applied R&D.
- Experience of working in a laboratory/small plant environment driving process improvements.
- Exposure to Lean/Value stream mapping/Supply Chain concepts
- Good knowledge of ERP systems, MfgPro or equivalent
- Knowledge of small to medium scale coatings manufacturing within an automated environment an advantage
- Influencing skills at different levels within the organization
- Strong communication & prioritization skills
- All employees have a responsibility to contribute to the Group’s sustainability and in doing so ensure that we can continue to fulfil our mission.
- All business decisions and actions must serve and be in line with the Group’s sustainability goals and mission
- An employee must abide by the legal compliance policy in the performing of his/her duties
For further information on this Director role in Galway please contact Michelle on 086 8347871 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out all our open jobs on our HERO Recruitment website – www.hero.ie
Please Note: HERO Recruitment will not forward your details to any company without your prior approval