Telephone: 086 1070950
Hardware Engineering Manager
Our client, a medical device company in Galway is currently looking to recruit a Hardware Engineering Manager for their site.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Functional Management of the Hardware Engineering Staff in the company’s Research Centre Ireland.
- Define the engineering capability required to meet new product development and sustaining objectives.
- Responsible for the maintenance and reliability enhancements of products in the Life Sciences and Medical segments.
- Manage the organizational structure of the Electro-Mechanical-Embedded Software group.
- Identify talent and hire associates with the capabilities needed to meet the department objectives
- Assess and manage performance and development the associates within the group.
- Work with the Business Unit Integration leaders and Quality to unify processes and tools (where possible) to enable common way of working between Biosciences and Diagnostic Systems and Medication Management Solutions.
- Drive technical and process excellence
- Cultivate lean product development practices that are fully compliant to applicable regulations for a broad array of products from research instruments to class 2& 3 Medical Devices.
- Apply statistical methods (DFSS) to produce robust design
- Increase design efficiency to lower development lead time and cost
- Drive cross project standardization and re-use for designs/components.
- Apply engineering expertise in a leadership role.
- Lead or participate in design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements, including manufacturability and serviceability.
- Plan and lead technical improvement projects within established schedules, budgets, and product cost targets.
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause of product failure and provide timely solutions.
- Drive strategic planning for system architecture across the breadth of the instrumented product line, from small benchtop standalone devices to full lab automation with broad connectivity.
- Reduce exposure to risk through long life cycle and obsolescence management
- Complete product design enhancement projects; improve reliability and upgrade current designs leading to increased value and customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate with other technical disciplines and across business functions to develop and meet project objectives.
- Forms effective working relationships with cross functional leaders and teams including Marketing, Field Service, Quality, Regulatory, Procurement and Manufacturing to deliver product solutions to the market
- Interact closely with application software, systems, and test functions to develop comprehensive solutions to design problems
- Providing high level technical assessments and communications to business leadership
- Guide team members to evaluate and apply engineering principles to fulfil project objectives.
- Participate in project planning and drive execution to meet project timelines and deliverables. Directly apply expert engineering and instrumentation knowledge to execute project assignments.
Knowledge And Skills:
- Talent management skills including coaching and mentoring, dealing with conflict. Manage performance and drive achievement. Recognize and deals effectively with low performance. Ability to recruit, hire, and maintain high calibre staff
- Demonstrated leadership skills driving product design enhancement projects; improve reliability and upgrade current designs leading to increased value and customer satisfaction
- Strong project management skills. Use of Microsoft Project and actuals reporting to generate earned value metrics
- Ability to apply risk based decision making skills to situations with ambiguity or conflicting requirements
- Demonstrated capabilities supporting products and product assemblies from production release throughout production life and service
- Technical strength in electronic, mechanical and or software embedded engineering
Advantage to have knowledge in the following:
- Electrical hardware design with embedded computer systems, single board computers, and their associated hardware peripherals, including LCD touchscreens and storage devices.
- Interfacing electrical control circuits with robotic and fluid handling systems.
- Electro-optical interfacing hardware (LEDs, photodiodes, laser diodes, PMTs, etc.),
- Motion components and control (DC & stepper motor, motor drive and control).
- Temperature control experience; driving heaters, blowers, and TEC devices and interfacing to temperature sensors including RTDs, thermistors, and solid state devices.
- Microcontroller and DSP hardware design techniques
- Serial interface and bus standards RS232, RS422, USB, I2C, SP, PC/104, IDE, STD and PCI.
- Digital logic circuit design using micro-controllers, DSPs, CPLDs, and FPGAs.
- Small signal analog conditioning circuitry design and the application of A/D and D/A’s
- Pneumatic systems
- Fluid handling systems
- Electronics packaging
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Application of CAD and CAE tools
- Optical system design and packaging
Education And Experience:
- BSc in a recognized engineering discipline. MSc preferred.
- Minimum six years of experience leading engineering product development teams or managing a functional group of Engineers
For further information on this Hardware Engineering Manager role in Limerick please Karl Lippett on 086 1070950 / email@example.com
Check out all our open jobs on our HERO Recruitment website – www.hero.ie
Please Note: Under its obligation under the Data Protection legislation, HERO Recruitment will not forward your details to any company without your prior approval.