Purchasing SpecialistReports To: Purchasing Manager
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain and develop the supplier base through: relationship development, supplier selection, supply agreements (including price negotiation where applicable), with continued supplier monitoring and evaluation
- Where required, ensure that contracts are in place and adequately protect the company.
- Carry out the purchasing process (stock, non-stock items, capital equipment) on a daily basis. For some materials this will include the evaluation of MRP, for others, the planning team will provide requirements for orders to be placed against
- Review and maintain planning and purchasing contingencies to ensure continued supply of product to our customers. Promote Continuous Improvement to ensure that the best solutions for the customer are delivered in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
- Fully understand how the activities and processes within the Purchasing function link to overall Tier Metrics and Organisation metrics. Ensure that the daily Purchasing Huddles address issues on a team level and that the appropriate actions are being taken daily to ensure that all Purchasing KPI’s are being met on an on-going basis.
- Driving Efficiencies
- Ensure that changes to specifications are communicated and approved by suppliers in a timely fashion, and that these specifications are appropriate for use of the material
- Participate in quarterly supplier review meetings and ensure corrective actions are taken when suppliers fail to meet expectations.
- Recording of and the carrying out of associated actions relating to any supplier related incidents that arise.
- Work on the change management process to reflect any SKU changes at a component or kit level. Ensure that you follow the purchasing functions that are in place to bring new products into the company.
- A significant aspect of the job is determining and implementing logistical improvements within the business planning systems. While focussed on the Procurement function, developments will almost certainly require involvement throughout the breadth of the supply chain. The job holder will not only need to have a thorough understanding of the supply planning process but also the interdependencies of the extended supply chain (Customer Management, Demand Planning, Supplier Management, Production, Warehouse and Distribution). The jobholder will be required to represent the department on cross-functional project teams, ensuring relevant details are addressed and resolved and be directly responsible for improvement initiatives.
Ad Hoc aspects to the role
- To undertake and be accountable for projects as requested by the department head.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Innovative, with a strong ability to identify pain points, propose and implement solutions.
- Effective communicator, both articulate & verbally presentable.
- Self-starter. possesses flexibility and ability to work under pressure in a fast-changing environment and ambiguous situations.
- Positive attitude, team player with a high level of initiative, energy and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work with cross functional teams and drive projects across functions is essential.
Particulars affecting the Job Holder
- The Purchasing Specialist should be undertaking or be APICS/CIPS qualified or educated to degree level equivalent and have either several years’ relevant experience in a purchasing, or purchasing related field. Knowledge of MRP II computer systems is preferable and in particular the SAP integrated system as it forms a major part of the supply chain. Experience of the use of such systems to communicate requirements to vendors and manage inventories global is highly desirable
- The Purchasing Specialist should be undertaking or be APICS/CIPS qualified or educated to degree level equivalent and have 4- 6 years relevant experience in a purchasing, or purchasing related field.
- Knowledge of MRP computer systems is required, and in particular SAP, as it forms a major part of the supply chain. Experience in the use of such systems to communicate requirements to vendors and manage inventories globally is essential.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint essential.
Job Characteristic Profile
- Understands the business strategic direction and is able to pro-actively conceive and develop a training plan which is aligned.
- Pro-actively identifies potential future skill gaps and plans accordingly.
- Is familiar with broad suite of company's and 3rd party products.
- Understands the different dynamics with each team and adopts his/her approach accordingly.
- Partners where necessary with peer groups within and outside the company.
- Is comfortable and confident in interfacing with senior management.
- Can positively influence employees at all levels on the need for continuous skill enhancement.
- Can interface professionally with external auditors.
- Can develop plans and policies to meet continually changing business needs.
- Identifies best practice training organisations and implements learning in Galway.
- Continually seeks to improve the effectiveness of training across the business.
- Implements his/her plan with 100% attention to detail and success.
- Associates directly with all customer related metrics across the site and builds connectivity of training plans in support of same.
For further information on this Purchasing Specialist please contact Fiona Keane on 086 7738651 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out all our open jobs on our HERO Recruitment website – https://www.hero.ie/
Please Note: Under its obligation under the Data Protection legislation, HERO Recruitment will not forward your details to any company without your prior approval.