Our client, a medical device company in Cork are currently looking to recruit a Research Coordinator for their site.
The Lead Research Coordinator is responsible for shaping, leading and managing effective partnerships between external research providers and the Engineering and Technical teams. These scientific and technical research partnerships are key enablers for technology and talent development in areas of strategic importance as part of programmes to improve existing and develop new materials, processes and products.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take responsibility within assigned technical areas for driving the Open Innovation strategy for Global Orthopaedics (GO):
- Integrate with Cluster and Site Engineering as well as Virtual Teams to support the development of their technology pipelines by pursuing suitable research opportunities through open innovation.
- Identity and select research partners and leveraged funding models to support successful research programmes.
- Manage a team of external researchers to ensure delivery of the research programmes by engaging with the internal technical sponsors of the projects and the executing research team.
- Ensure that technology transfer is a continuous process during the lifecycle of the individual projects and champion the translation of research outputs into feasibility and implementation projects within the manufacturing network.
- Interface on behalf of the company with the relevant funding agencies (e.g. SFI, EI, EC etc.) supporting the research programmes.
- Build relevant consortiums with external bodies and Research Performing Organisations (RPOs) to enable H2020 applications and develop integrated solutions across the GO network.
Business Results & Performance
- Implementation of Portfolio and Program Management Practices across the Cluster Engineering Group for collaborative operation research projects.
- Support the process for Tax Credit and IDA Grant claims.
- Champion the Innovation Centre, and Open Innovation in particular, across the GO Organisation.
- Implement Company Business Plan Objectives & strive to exceed Business results.
- Identify and secure external funding from national agencies worldwide, including the European Commission, to de-risk the research across GO.
- Implement business processes to effectively manage the pipeline of new projects and collaborations.
Organisation & Talent Development
- Develop compelling career progression paths & development plans for the external researchers and internal team members.
- Manage resource allocation and project management across multi-disciplinary projects.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and a clear identifiable work ethos within the Cluster Engineering Team.
- Ensure ER issues are managed in a fair and reasonable manner in line with company policies, Credo values and Standards of leadership, keeping members of the Management Lead Team informed of issues and concerns in a timely manner.
- Develop both team and individual goals and objectives and measure actual performance against them, to ensure delivery of exceptional performance to internal and external customers.
- Where relevant support the completion of performance appraisals and mid-year reviews in a timely manner and provide timely and honest feedback on performance even in difficult situations.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of the Company?s strategic imperatives / objectives.
Collaboration & Teaming
- Develop collaborative networks with European and International RPOs to ensure that our client is at the forefront of manufacturing technologies, materials and processes.
- Work to develop and implement strategic Innovation Centre Goals & Objectives
- Work with Plant Managers, Engineering managers and other senior operational stakeholders worldwide to ensure transformational technology change across the network is achieved.
- Develop collaborative networks, including engagement with Enterprise Centres of Excellence.
- Be the conduit between the external researchers and the internal technical staff to facilitate the researchers and their learnings being successfully integrated into our technical teams during their projects.
Key Competencies Required:
- Integrity Sense of Urgency
- Self-Awareness Big Picture Orientation
- Adaptability Strategic Thinking
- Leadership & Vision Effective Communicator
- Intellectual Curiosity Facilitator
- Problem Solving Ability Judgement & Tact
Qualifications & Experience
- Engineering/Science Degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 3-5 years applied research experience in Third Level/Industry OR
- Minimum 3-5 years technical experience in an Operations/Engineering role within a multinational company.
- Demonstrated track record of technical leadership within research, technology development or technology transfer projects.
- Master?s in Business Administration and / or Engineering
- PhD in Engineering or Science
- Previous experience within the Healthcare/Medical Devices Sector.
- Technical background in fields relevant to orthopaedics, e.g. materials (metals, polymers, bioactive coatings, ceramics), machining & finishing, 3D Printing, biomechanics, product design, microbiology, surface treatments, metrology, regenerative medicine etc.
- Experience of research administration (project & financial) in relation to national (e.g. SFI, EI & IRC) or European (FP7/H2020) funding programmes.
For further information on this Research Coordinator role in Cork please contact Anthony Cummins on 091730022 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out all our open jobs on our HERO Recruitment website ? www.hero.ie
Please Note: HERO Recruitment will not forward your details to any company without your prior approval