Our client, a medical device company in Cork are currently looking to recruit a Senior Applications Engineer for their site.
Through close collaboration with Customers and Marketing, will deliver high quality and innovative products
Designs, develops, refines and evaluates mechanical components assemblies or subsystems for medical devices and implants. Uses new technologies, creative design thinking and engineering principles to reduce product time to market whilst adhering to project deadlines and product costs.
- Application of new technology for the development of medical devices from concept to commercialisation.
- Work with internal and external design teams to invent and create smart, innovative solutions to healthcare problems and design challenges.
- Conducts research in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity.
- Evaluate and optimize concepts for mechanical function and manufacturability. Develop product designs and create prototypes from customer concepts and/or specs to test and validate ideas
- Will determine and implement design approaches and parameters and conduct feasibility studies on new designs. Will analyse equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests and evaluate the results. Lead and/or participate in design review meetings.
- You will lead and contribute significantly in efforts to identify, determine product requirements, generate production drawings for parts and assemblies and develop and manage full product design documentation.
- Will select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications, reliability and regulatory requirements. Work with advanced quality engineers to develop component specific testing and inspection protocols.
- Communicate with process development and manufacturing engineering to resolve technical challenges and optimize design for manufacturability and efficiency. Will ensure designs are cost efficient, manufacturable and reliable.
- Liaison with supply chain personnel for the specification and sourcing of raw materials
- This position is accountable for achieving product performance and quality objectives, project planning and effective execution, as well as communicating project status and escalating issues when appropriate.
- Independently determines and develops approach to resolving end customers? product related issues, through problem solving and troubleshooting product design, and product training
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor of Engineering/Science or Industrial Design with 2 or more years of experiences or Master of Eng./Science.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Shall have a good understanding of anatomy and common surgical procedures. Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills with an ability to communicate with marketing and customers including surgeons/key opinion leaders on clinical topics and surgical procedures.
- Self-starter with demonstrated efficient work methods, analytical & problem. Must be able to read and interpret complex engineering drawings and have a good understanding of geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Problem solving skills and ability to handle multiple tasks using independent judgement in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of working as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- Good instincts and sound judgment for mechanical and structural design
- Use of creativity tools for idea and concept generation.
- Good understanding of statistical tools and validation/verification techniques.
- Knowledge of project Management tools is essential
- Sound knowledge of CAM/CAE computer systems, engineering materials and design, coating technologies, plastic part design and manufacturing technologies. Fluent in 3D CAD with good working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis tools.
- Must have the ability to work with and assemble small objects and component parts.
- Must be able to generate, follow and explain detailed proposals and operating procedures.
- Experience of the Medical Device Industry or other highly regulated industry required with an in depth understanding of ISO 13485 and FDA quality system requirements
- Willingness to travel internationally for live surgery visits and global partner collaboration, and work on international assignments.