Senior Materials Scientist
Senior Materials Scientist
A leading medical device company in Limerick is looking to hire a Senior Meterials Scientist.
The Senior Materials Scientist is responsible for providing product design engineering technical leadership on cross-functional product development teams during the pre-concept, development, design and documentation for the manufacture of new and improved surgical devices, surgical implants or related medical products.
As an independent contributor, the Senior Materials Scientist must be able to coordinate and implement concurrent engineering practices either within the organization during an organic product development process or when working with an external development partner. The Senior Materials Scientist may have direct reports and must be able to guide, mentor and develop lower-level engineers and technicians.
- Contribute to developing new product designs in a cross-functional team environment requiring an ability to develop innovative solutions that address our customer needs by overcoming chemical, material, and manufacturing process design challenges.
- Supports establishing design specifications and defining the relationship between the design specifications and the critical design features, including the development of clinically relevant test methods that verify the product meeting the specifications.
- Concisely communicates technical challenges and possible solutions and manage key decisions and tradeoffs.
- Generate product development documentation and reports using appropriate technical writing.
- Schedules and conducts design review and technical review meetings.
- Ability to work effectively with a highly diverse, international cross-functional team
- Ability to think outside the box and a willingness to propose novel ideas in an open forum.
- Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; pushing oneself and others to exceed performance goals and standards; strong and independent drive for success.
- Establishing courses of action and plans for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently; successfully encourages others to take responsibility for their work packages.
- Making customers/stakeholders and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive business relationships on a global front.
- Masters or higher engineering degree (preferably Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Engineering or similar), with 8+ years of product development-related experience required (preferably in the development of novel biomaterials for implantable medical devices working in a team-based environment). Applicants possessing a PhD/Doctoral degree with less than 8 years of experience will be considered.
- Experience designing device coatings of varying morphology (e.g. thin films, foams, gels, etc.) for medical/surgical applications.
- Previous experience working with naturally derived biomaterials including but not limited to collagen, gelatin, chitosan, cellulose, fibrinogen, other proteins/enzymes and their derivatives. This includes processing of proteins/enzymes and related analytics.
- Broad knowledge and familiarity with implantable medical devices.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Good verbal and written communication with all levels of technical and operating management.
- Knowledge of GMP’s, current FDA Medical Devices legislation and regulations is a plus.
- Experience with Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)/Design of Experiments and the Stanford Biodesign process is a plus.
- Experience setting up schedules, assigning resources and managing schedules to completion.
- Ability to work in a team, or individually, with global collaboration and interacting with external development partners.
- Excellent communication skills across departments, e.g. cross-engineering (with Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Firmware etc.) cross-functional (with Marketing, Regulatory, Clinical Representatives, Quality etc.)
- Must have very strong writing skills.
- Attention to detail paramount.
For further information on Senior Materials Scientist role in Limerick please contact Amanda Reynolds on 086 0468858 / technical@hero,.ie
Please Note: Under its obligation under the Data Protection legislation, HERO Recruitment will not forward your details to any company without your prior approval.
Manufacturing Engineer (Contract) Commutable from Limerick, Clare & Mayo Our client, a leading medical device company in Ireland, is currently…
Senior Industrial Engineer Our client a leading medical device company is recruiting for a Senior Industrial Engineer to join their…
Quality Technician 12 month contract – Evening Shift Our client, a medical device company in Galway is currently looking to…