Our client, a medical device company in Cork are currently looking to recruit a Staff Applications Engineer for their site.
Devise and execute technical challenges that feed and create ideas and designs which optimize the use of new technologies for best in class new products. Through a complete understanding and wide application of new technology, engineering principles, techniques and concepts, advise product development and other stakeholders to enable the exceptional product performance and satisfaction of user needs.
You are the expert in technical areas, occasionally coaching junior members of the team. Your expertise in the area will secure a technology base that will drive business success, while using intellectual property protection.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Create imaginative, thorough and practical technical solutions that are key to successful product development. Through patent protection and invention disclosure, protect the technologies that are core to the long-term success of the business.
- You will work with a highly creative design team in and out of the company to invent and develop innovative successful new product concepts. Create smart, innovative solutions to mechanical design challenges. Conducts research in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity.
- Evaluate and optimize concepts for mechanical function and manufacturability. Develop product designs and create prototypes from customer concepts and/or specs to test and validate ideas
- Through statistical techniques and engineering tools, determine design approaches and parameters and create feasibility studies on new designs. Lead design review meetings, while building a technology network, both internal and external.
- While understanding other functions capabilities, communicate with suppliers, advanced manufacturing engineering and product development to resolve issues and optimize design for manufacturability and efficiency. Will ensure designs are cost efficient, manufacturable and reliable
- You will lead and contribute significantly in efforts to identify, determine product requirements, generate production drawings for parts and assemblies and develop and manage full product design documentation
- This position is accountable for achieving product performance and quality objectives, project planning and effective execution, as well as communicating program status and escalating issues when appropriate.
- Independently determines and develops approach to resolving end customers? product related issues, through problem solving and troubleshooting product design, product training and relationship building.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor Engineering Degree (Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Design, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Materials Science) with a minimum of 4 years or more experience, or a related Master?s degree with 2 years or more experience, or a related PhD.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - able to express ideas and collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary teams. Open minded- able to recognize good ideas.
- Innovative thinker - able to envision new and better ways to do things
- Experience in executing complex problem solving techniques related to design/technical issues. Good instincts and sound judgment for mechanical and structural design.
- Good understanding of statistical tools and validation/verification techniques.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to plan, organize, and implement multiple concurrent tasks.
- Must be able to analyse and correct complex product and/or process issues and make decisions using independent judgement.
- Ideally has good knowledge of human anatomy and common surgical procedures.
- Good working knowledge of CAM/CAE computer systems, engineering materials and design, coating technologies, plastic part design and advanced manufacturing technologies. Fluent in 3D CAD with good working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis tools.
- Must be able to read and interpret complex engineering drawings and have a good understanding of geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Must have the ability to work with and assemble small objects and component parts. Ability to operate small hand tools and inspection equipment.
- Must be able to generate, follow and explain detailed proposals and operating procedures with an in depth understanding of ISO 13485 and FDA quality system requirements.
- PC Literate (word processing, spreadsheets, data base) and strong knowledge of project Management tools is essential.
- Willingness to travel internationally for live surgery visits and global partner collaboration, and work on international assignments.